Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Beef Curry

Today was beef day at our home. DH is not a big fan of beef or pork. While likes having it , he is a minimalist. So, I cook it once or twice a month. I have been wanting to make Chettinad beef curry by Annita at My Pleasure...My Treasure for sometime now. My mouth watered just looking at the picture.

When I started to collect the ingredients together to make it, I was falling short on couple of ingredients. So, I had to make some changes to ingredients. I went easy on the chili too. While I did make changes to the recipe, the end result was just awesome. DH was in heaven and my son loved it. I would have liked a bit more heat though. So, I'm definitely trying the recipe as is next time.

Here is how I made it,

Beef Curry
Ingredients:
Beef cut into small pieces - 1/2 lb
Mustard seeds - a pinch
Onion chopped finely - 1 cup
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Tomato sliced - 1/2 cup
Salt - to taste
Oil - as needed

For Grinding:-
Ginger - 1 inch size piece
Garlic pods - 7-8
Cinnamon(Karuvapatta) - 2 pieces
Cloves (Grambu) - 4 nos
Fennel seeds(Perumjeerakam) - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds(Jeerakam) - 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
Chilly Powder - 2 tsp
Coriander seeds - 2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Green chili - 1
Coriander leaves - a handful
Curry leaves - 10

Instructions:



  • Grind all the ingredients in 'For grinding' into a coarse paste and keep it aside.
  • Marinate the beef in the coarse paste for half an hr.
  • Pressure cook the beef till tender, around 4-5 whistles
  • In a fry pan, heat oil
  • Add mustard seeds and curry leaves
  • Saute onions till soft
  • Add tomatoes to this and cook till soft
  • Add the cooked beef to this.
  • Add salt to taste
  • Cook till the curry is on the dry side.

No comments: