Thursday, April 10, 2008

Aloo- Peas Paratha

My skill at making chappathis/parathas is limited. I can make soft but shapeless chappathis. That is the extent of my skills. Stuffed parathas are way out of my league. But I couldn't resist trying it when I saw the Aloo parata at En Samayal Pakam . I found another interesting looking Aloo Paratha at Mane Adige . The below recipe is inspired by both.

Aloo - Peas Paratha
Ingredients:
For dough:
Durum Atta- 2 cups
salt- 1/4 tsp
warm Milk - 1/4 cup
Yougurt - 1 tbsp
Oil - 2 tsp
water- as required
For stuffing:
potato-1 (boiled)
Shallot - 1 small, chopped
Chili pwd - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric pwd - a pinch
Any masala you have (I used rajma masala) - 1/4 tsp
Frozen peas - a handful
Oil - 1 tsp
Salt - To taste
Instructions:
  1. Mix all the ingredients for the dough together. Add warm water little by little and knead well to make dough. Wrap it in plastic wrap and set aside.

  2. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Add chopped shallot and fry it it starts to turn brown
  3. Add chili pwd and turmeric pwd and fry till the raw smell goes away=
  4. Add the frozen peas and saute till cooked
  5. Add the cooked potaoes and saute till the masala coats the potatoes
  6. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and mash well


  7. Take a big-lemon sized dough and split it into two.
  8. Roll the two small balls into small parathas
  9. Place a teaspoon of mashed potato mixture in the middle of one of the parathas and spread it around


  10. Place the second paratha on top


  11. Use the rolling pin to seal the parathas and together


  12. Heat tawa and cook paratha on both sides

Here is the result. I served it for dinner with egg curry.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very nice way to demonstrate, very very nice pictures. thank you.