Banana-Date cake (adapted from Granny cake recipe from BHG New Baking book)
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup butter, softened
2 cups mashed bananas
1 cup pitted and chopped dates
¼ cup orange juice
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chopped cashews
- Preheat oven to 325F. Grease and flour a 10 inch fluted tube pan
- In a small bowl, combine chopped dates and orange juice
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and salt
5. Add bananas, eggs, vanilla and the orange-date mixture to the beaten butter and beat till well combined.
6. Add all the flour mixture and beat at low speed till combined.
7. Beat at medium speed for a minute
8. Fold in the chopped cashews
9.Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 75 minutes or till a wooden toothpick inserted towards the center comes back clean.
10.Cool the cake in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes
11. Remove the cake from the pan and cool thoroughly
I never change or substitute ingredients when it comes to cakes. Today's experiment was new to me. I was very happy with the cake. It was moist and sweet. It did taste a bit like banana bread.
Here is the final cake,