Friday, April 18, 2008

Sugar Cookies

Its our friend's daughter's fourth birthday today. And it was Teacher Appreciation day at my son's school. I had to make something quick and easy. So, I made sugar cookies. Then I iced them and spelled out the message by painting the cookies. I used the sugar cookie recipe in the Kitchen Aid mixer Recipes book. I did make some changes to it due to inavailabilty of some ingredients.

Sugar Cookies
Ingredients:
1 Cup Butter
1/2 tsp Almond extract
1/2 tsp Orange extract
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp Green Cardomon pwd
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups All purpose flour

Instructions
  1. Pre-heat oven to 400F.
  2. Combine all the dry ingredients except the sugar in a medium bowl.
  3. Place butter and extracts in a mixer bowl.
  4. Using the flat beater attachment, beat this mixture at medium speed till smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.Stop and scrape the bowl.
  5. Turn the beater to medium speed and gradually add 3/4 cup sugar and mixing well till blended about 1.5 minutes
  6. Add the eggs and beat for about 30 seconds. Stop and scrape the bowl.
  7. Stir in the dry ingredients and mix till well blended.
  8. Spray the baking sheet with PAM and drop teaspoonfulls of dough abour 3 inches apart.
  9. Bake this in the oven for about 6 to 8 mins.
  10. Sprinkle sugar when the cookie is still hot.

I omited the last step since I was going to ice the cookies. I got the icing recipe from here. The icing was perfect. Once the cookies were cool, I iced them. When the icing was hard, I mixed some water with red icing gel and painted the message on top of the cookie.

Here is how it looked,

No comments: